It’s been a long time since I post but I have been very busy. The last week has involved testing the game for bugs before release and adding last minute item such as control screen , credits How to screen and completing / tidying up each level.
I have added wreckage and asteroids more enemy plus have improved enemy spawning locations to improve the overall gaming experience for the player.
I also managed to reduce the overall size of the game by reducing each skybox file size.By doing this it I have managed to get the over all size down and get the game to be sold for 80 Microsoft points due to file size and pricing guild lines set by Microsoft.
The game is now in a completed state and has been sent to the xbox peer review to check for any bugs, errors or if the game does not meet the requirements set by Microsoft. At the time of writing the game has been test twice and been passed by both testers. Here’s hoping it will be passed and out soon.
We are done, hopefully.
The game has been completed, polished and sent of to Microsoft to be appraised. If we have done everything right the game will pass peer review and be available to download - I hope you have 80 MSP ready for it as we want to get rich off this (not really). If it fails review we will fix it up and send it off again, unfortunately the only points where I think it will fail will be issues with my engine.
Our next game - no idea, this was way more stressful than anyone of us imagined and all of us are looking forward to a break, if it wasn’t for the fact we still have to present this to our lecturers we might even get one.
If you are wondering where the update for week 8 and 9 went, I have a baby daughter and a new found understanding of the word ‘insomnia’.
We are nearing our deadline for completing the game, luckily the university is taking a holiday for two weeks that will allow us to tidy up everything. The plan is to get a complete version of the game up for peer review next week so we can try and get some feed back for our report, after we have passed the module the summer can be used to get the game perfect and uploaded if we fail the peer review (likely unfortunately, it’s harsh)
This week we have found a solution to long loading times on the Xbox, using some good timing to make it look like it isn’t loading at all, as well added all our fantastic sound effects created by our freelance sound engineer Chris Steven who is doing lots of work out the goodness of his heart, or at least a big mention in the credits.
Hopefully my next update will be telling you to go buy the game
Two things: we’ve decided on a name for our game - Rad Infinitum - and Lynn made an awesome logo!
- Mark P
The issues with the Player model have been fixed!!!!
I have finally fixed the issues that were plaguing the player ship. The issue was that the right hand side assets in the in-game version of the player ship model were not showing up. These were the right hand wing, cannon and the 4 afterburners. It was a case of the UV’s being inverted when they were copied over from the left hand side to the right hand side.
This was due to a scaling error when using the ‘Duplicate Special’ function which not only made copies of the objects but also inverted the shape (so the tips of the wings were facing right instead of left for example) and in turn inverted the UV normals so they were faced inwards and not outwards.
Due to a rather stupid mistake on my part I did not keep a .mb copy of the wing I could import and edit into the model and re-unwrap the set of UVs in order to texture the model properly so it would appear to be a solid object.
I did however manage to work my way around by manually reversing the normals on the ship ( or in the case of the burners and guns. duplicate and place each object manually with no scaling), re-applied the needed textures and all is well.
This week I have been working on small yet important changes to out game by adding mines, asteroids, changing waypoint sizes, colours as well as the big task of implementing the last 4 levels in our game.
A basic template of a level each level is in and now it is just the detail to add. Once done our game is ready for some testing and polish. Once completed the game will be sent to peer review to decide if it’s able to be released.